Damien Cares Job Opportunities
Reports to: Clinic Director
Status: Part-Time or Full-Time
The Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner performs the duties required to assess and treat common psychiatric disorders for adults and children in an outpatient setting. Working with the Mental Health/Substance Abuse team of The Damien Center, Inc., the Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner will conduct mental health care for HIV-positive and high-risk patients. The Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner will work as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Obtain and accurately document in the EMR a relevant health history, with an emphasis on mental history
- Perform comprehensive mental health assessments and psychiatric evaluations
- Prescribe psychotropic medications when clinically necessary
- Follow persons served for whom psychiatric medication is prescribed
- Obtain and monitor lab work, when applicable
- Facilitate the hospitalization of persons served requiring inpatient care
- Responsible for providing support to day-to-day execution and operational issues related to the epidemiologic program and to engage key affected populations
- Maintain referral, enrollment and follow-up logs
- Work collaboratively with medical providers and partner organization clinical and supportive staff
- Analyze the relationship between normal physiology and specific system alterations associated with mental health problems, psychiatric disorders and treatment
- Identify and analyze factors that affect mental health such as genetics, family environment, trauma, psychodynamics, culture & ethnicity, etc.
- Collect data from multiple sources using assessment techniques that are appropriate to the patient’s language, culture and developmental stage
- Assess the impact of acute and/or chronic physical illness, psychiatric disorders and stressors
- Perform and accurately document appropriate systems and symptom-focused physical examinations, with emphasis on the mental status exam and neurological exam
- Develop a treatment plan for mental health problems and psychiatric disorders based on bio-psychosocial theories, evidence-based standards of care, and practice guidelines
- Conduct individual, group, and/or family psychotherapy
- Treat acute psychiatric disorders and mental health problems
- Participate in quality assurance and compliance activities
Skills and Qualifications:
- Possess a Master’s, Post-Master’s of Doctorate degree from an advanced practice nursing program accredited by the national League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- Possess current license to practice as an Advance Practice Nurse in the State of Indiana
- Possess and maintain current certification as an Adult or Psychiatric-Mental Health Practitioner (PMHNP-BC) by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- Have successfully completed 30 hours of education in pharmacology for advanced nursing practice
- Possess a minimum experience of 1 year full-time experience within the last two years as a Psychiatric NP
- Requires ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail when providing supervision and performing administrative tasks, direct patient care, and adhering to ethical professional standards
- Broad knowledge base of DSM IV diagnoses and treatment modalities
- Excellent assessment and communication skills
- Ability to function in a high stress environment
- Computer proficiency
- Preferred experience with an EHR or EMR
Please Note the Following
- If a candidate is offered and accepts this position, s/he will be required to agree to a background check. Employment will be contingent upon the findings.
- If a candidate is offered and accepts this position, s/he will be required to sign confidentiality and data security agreements. All employees are required to sign agency confidentiality statements.
- If a candidate is offered and accepts this position, s/he will be required to meet agency, program, and funding productivity standards.
How to apply for this position?
To apply for this position, email your cover letter and resume to Melissa Pohlman at email@example.com.
If you have questions about this position, please call Melissa Pohlman at 317-632-0123, ext. 261.